Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dragon Salsa

So that is a terrible name for a dish.  It's either a really spicy dip or a very dangerous dance. 

So this week I am headed to Super H Mart
I'm not so sure what the "H" stands for but I think it's "happy".  At least that's how this place makes me feel! So I have to find something I've never seen.  But before I begin the hunt....I decided to take a couple of pictures. This place has some hilarious shit!

First of all I see this....

Really Mr. H?!!  Do we sell that much eel that it necessitates a sign....let alone it's own section.

Oh and this....
Talk about fiber.  This is something you would have to eat in the bathroom.  But
I would at least taste it:)

And if you eat this stuff your hair will catch on fire....

That's gotta be some hot crap!

And here is my favorite...

Which one of these would you put in your grocery cart?  Let's do the equation....shall we...
Red Yeast X Cheese = y/ a heavy dose of antibiotics....gross...natural cracker my ass....
but I totally bought the sesame kind!

and last (and least)...

I'm calling PETA...

Okay, so since last time I got something really ugly to cook, I thought  maybe I should find something more attractive than that Jack Fruit.

And here it is friends....

OMG!!!  Unicorn eggs!...not really. But when I saw this bin full of these beautiful babies, I squeezed my butt cheecks together so tight... I think I pulled a muscle in my back!  So exciting. It's mine!!!

Alright so this guy is called the Dragon Fruit (pitaya) and he is so pretty.  I find it strange that this is a "dragon" fruit...it should totally be the Unicorn Fruit.  Look at this thing!  A dragon it is not.  I guess when I think of dragons I think of the beast that Maleficent turns into at the end of Sleeping Beauty....scary!...sorry..that was the gayest thing I've ever said...I appologize to everyone involved.  But for real, Unicorn Fruit is well suited.  BTW..if I get this thing home and it is not filled with glitter...I will be pissed!

If you ask me, THIS looks more like a dragon fruit...

I didn't realize this H Mart was carrying terds....
So this Pitaya (Dragon Fruit as they call it...and by "they", I mean people who don't know how to name fruit) is a very mild fruit.  It's flesh is like a kiwi with little black seeds.  Here is the inside...

So no glitter  :(
It's mildly sweet and is eaten raw or as a palate cleanser.  It actually doesn't have a ton of flavor.  Sometimes it is used to flavor tea or water.  Maybe I'll make some Dragon juice....too easy. Well I can't cook it or pair it with really strong flavors so at this point I am lost.  Then it hits me...Salsa!!!  But not regular salsa...something new and fresh!  Dragon Salsa...worst name ever!..but I can't think of anything else.  This fruit is super refreshing so I think it will make for an awesomely crisp summer salsa.

So now I have to find some chips.  Much to my surprise, they do not have sesame Doritos!  Ugh those would be so good.  This looks like chips, but it is not!

Don't be fooled! This is seaweed...and they sell it in the shape of chips...but it tastes like gross.

So I have the sesame crackers and some lady who spoke broken English told me to get these crackers that I can't read...

She was like holding them out towards me saying they were soooo good...so I felt obligated to buy them.  What a pusher. I mean, don't be a cracker bully.  If I pay $4.99 for these and they are gross then you are going down lady ....(don't make me throw my purse up in a tree...thank you Anjelah Johnson)

Here is the recipe....

Dragon Salsa (working title)

1/2 Dragon fruit, fine dice, about a cup
2 large tomatoes, fine dice
1/4 yellow bell pepper, fine dice
1 slice red onion, fine chop
1/2 avacado, firm, fine chop
2 cloves galic, chopped
10 Thai basil leaves, chopped
1 thai pepper, chopped
1/2 lime
1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Side Notes...

-Thai peppers are spicy so you can leave it out
 -Make sure you get thai basil and not just basil.....huge difference
-get a firm avacado...it should feel like a tightened butt cheek muscle...but don't do that in the store...


This recipe is super easy.  You just have to chop everything and mix it together.

Mise en place...


 Oh...before you chop the tomatoes, lob the tops off and give them a squeeze to remove the seeds and slimy stuff...


 Then just mix everything together and give a good sqeeze of lime! Yum!
Beautiful!  I decided to serve this with the sesame chips.  Those crackers that the cracker bully made me buy were really sweet...but really good too....she's not a liar after all.

Here is another way to serve this as a one biter...


Hooray!!!  You guys are gonna love this! That's all for now....hold please...

3 comments:

  1. That recipe looks delicious! I'm definitely trying that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, your blog is awesome and I love you on TV, but a professional chef has got to be able to spell the word "palate."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg Barbara! I didnt even see that! Thanks! I never said I was smart;)...just creative. I'll fix it! You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete