Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cupcakes with "Klass"

I know I spelled it wrong....there's a point....just read!

So this week for my Farmers' Market find, I was inspired by a picture I recieved from my buddy Jason Ellis.  He was at Chelsea Market in NYC and found this little nugget...
That's so cute I wanna punch it. 
So as I wander through the market I keep seeing all the baby stuff for sale...

Baby bananas... BTW when I spell  "bananas", I still sing that Gwen Stefani song in my head...B-A-N-A-N-A-S...gross i know....
Baby bok choy....i wonder if there is really a baby named Bok Choy....that would be hilarious!...

Baby corn....personal faves:)...

Fish babies....I still hate this....why would you buy anything with a face....yuck.
And lastly,  the baby that started it all......

Baby Jesus!  Do you think he really wants to endorse this candle!?  I mean....it smells like my Maw maw's house....which usually smells like roses and ointment....
Oh look here he is again posing as a twin....
BJ is totally a candle pusher! 
Why would you even think about stealing something from this store while this little nugget is watching from high on a shelf in his little pink dress.  I totally should have bought one!

So now I am thinking about kids....I have to make something for kids.  I find myself on the Mexican koolaid aisle...and yes...there is a Mexican koolaid aisle....BINGO!

Okay let me explain.  Horchata is a delicious drink made from rice and flavored with cinnamon.  I had it when I first moved to Atlanta.  A friend of mine took me to the Farmers' Market for the first time and gave me this drink.  I remember it tasting like ice cream....soooo good. 
So since I have had this before I feel as though I am cheating on my own blog.....but for the sake of the children....I can't make something too "out of the box"....so I will make something that comes in a package:)  And I know just the thing.....CUPCAKES!!!!

How funny is it that the brand name is Klass!!  And it's on sale!!!

2 for $5!...Sign me up!  Artificially flavored....no shit!  How many times have you bought "natural" koolaid?...that's called juice! So Klassy:)

Joshua's Klassy Cupcakes
AKA: Horchata Coconut cupcakes with browned buttercream

ingredients:
1 1/4 cups Klass Horchata drink mix:)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, soft
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 T. vanilla
1 cup coconut, shredded, raw

Browned butercream:
2 sticks butter
2 cups confectionery sugar
1 cup milk


Okay first we are going to brown the butter for the buttercream so it can cool before we mix...

Place the 2 sticks of butter in a skillet on high and let melt...


Now let the butter brown on high for 6 of 7 minutes.  You do not want to burn it so stay close.  What you are doing here is browning the milk solids in the butter to achieve a nutty taste...

You can use a spoon to check by scraping the bottom...you should get these little brown pieces.  Pour the browned butter into a cool bowl and let it cool...

Okay now for the cupcakes...

Mise en place...

So first we are going to cream the butter with the Klass and sugar.  So place these three ingredients into the bowl of a mixer and cream with a paddle until light and fluffy....about 5 minutes or so....it should look like this...

Light, Fluffy, and Klassy!

Now add the eggs...on at a time...making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next...

Okay....there is a reason for this.  So when you cream the eggs and sugar...you are making millions of air pockets.  These pockets are then filled slowly with eggs (hence the "one at a time" thing) not to overwhelm the batter....so sensitive;)  So when the cake is baking, the eggs begin to cook and expand...this starts the leavening process...take that culinary school...your welcome.

Okay, so once the eggs are in and incorporated, you can add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to the flour.....

Then give it a good whisking to break up any lumps...this is also known as the "ghetto sift"
Now, while the mixer is on low speed, alternate the flour mixture and the sour cream into the batter in three additions.....letting each addition incorporate well before adding the next. Then add the milk.
Fold in the vanilla and milk next.
BTW... this is the vanilla I used....

That's right....vanilla essence...cause we are "klassy";)

Lastly, give the batter a few good shavings of fresh nutmeg....

Freshly grated nutmeg is a must....it's so much better than the preground junk....mmmmm smells like Christmas...BJ's birthday...duh!

Now fill the cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or so...just until they spring back a little....

Now for the icing!!!

Place the cooled brown butter in the mixer on low.  Add the milk and sugar and beat with a whisk attachment until light and fluffy...

Now ice the cooled cupcakes and decorate how ever you choose...just make sure they look "klassy".
I topped some with sprinkles and others with toasted coconut....

Yum!  They are super sweet but super good.  That's all for now.  I would like to thank Jason Ellis for the inspiration, the Hispanic community for their wonderful Klass koolaid, and most importantly...Baby Jesus for watching over me as I shop at the Farmers' Market....
More to come...hold please...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 I always sing that damn song when spell checking bananas too! #2 Klassy cupcakes, so wrong and yet so right...:)

    ReplyDelete